Thursday, January 6, 2011

And on the type writer she wrote on...

Hello all! I hope your holiday break was splendid and relaxing. I have been spending mine watching movies like Cabaret and working.
For the longest time at our house we have housed my grandmother's typewriter that she lent/gave us and until today we didn't have hadn't installed any type writing ribbon in it. So for a large part of today I have been typing away nonsenical pieces and researching its history. What I have found is that is a 1941 Royal Quiet DeLuxe Portable typwriter that was even used by the notable writer Earnest Hemingway. It is stored in a tweed covered case so it can be carried around. My grandmother bought in 1941 in Massachusetts, it also was the the same year that she graduated from high school in Pensylvania.

Type writer and case
A closeup of the glass keys


Hopefully my typing with improve on it and I could use it for writing up assignments and letters.

3 comments:

  1. Oh it is stunning!

    I have a friend who took her portable type-writer to lectures at one stage. She got a few funny looks, but was going ok until she hit the end of a line and it went *BING* -then the lecturer went mental. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely typewriter! Typing on a typewriter is so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Royal Quiet Deluxe as well! Its not very quiet however. But I still love it. They are the best for writing letters.

    ReplyDelete